Are you ready for a funny?
Yesterday at Sunday morning service, I was about to begin enjoying worship and I thought I smelled something. Hmmm, it smells like someone forgot to put on their deodorant. I look over and it's a little old lady. 'No, it can't be.' She is starring at me like she wants to say something. Then she finally ask if all the seats are taken. I said, 'yes.'
So I'm trying to get back into my groove of worship. Not a few minutes later, I noticed an older gentlemen who kept coming around this old lady and then leaving. He did it several times; walk up and walk away. Well that nice aroma that I smelled was coming from him. I thought when you got old, you don't' have those problems anymore. Well between that lady obviously wanting another seat and that man with that sweet aroma, I couldn't take it anymore. So I got up to move to the balcony.
I get to the balcony and I was relieved to be able to move around a little more. I try to get back into worship and as soon as I close my eyes and begin singing, 'oh good Lord not again!.' Is that smell stuck in my nose now? I open my eyes and someone just sat down in front of me with the same sweet aroma.
At this point, I had to check myself to make sure. So, yes, I raised my hands as I was worshipping the Lord. I needed to make sure I didn't need to go worship the deodorant myself. :0) I was clean. I enjoyed the rest of service doing my best to ignore it.
Night service comes around and I'm excited that a friend saved me some seats up front because the place was packed. There was not a lot of space to move around but there was such excitement to worship the Lord and hear a great message, I didn't care. I closed my eyes and joined everyone else in singing and loving on Jesus until maybe 3 minutes into it, OMG seriously! It was horrible. My friend sitting next to me busted out laughing because she already knew what I experienced this morning. She just leans over laughing saying, get used to it because it's like being in Africa. Great! I'm going to get a headache seriously! Worship needs to be toned down tonight so these people don't work up a sweat. I stuck it out and enjoyed the rest of the service for the most part:)
So, is there a point or message in my day of stink? I don't know. I could try left field and say, 'maybe I have some stink I need to get rid of in my own life, before I start freaking out on other peoples stink.' Or this could make for a new slogan in progress...
"It's never too late to use deodorant!"
"Jesus will wash your sins away, but not your armpits!"
"Going Nat-ur-al, does not mean the armpits!"
"Thank you Jesus for deodorant!"
"Jesus went Natural and so do I!"
"Deodorant Kills!" (Really?)
Monday, September 14, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I remember Sherry telling me of a time she in Russia; after showering,powdering and perfuming and primping, she steps onto elevator to go to meeting, A Russian man whiffs her and say "Amerdicanz! You ard afraid to smell like a human!"...uh yeah.
ReplyDeleteBelieve it or not, I've actually read something, a scientific study, showing that worshipers in really strong, enthusiastic spiritual situations (fire-and-brimstone preaching, revivals, clapping/singing/joyful services, overcome with the spirit) have a distinctive--or should I say di-stink-tive?!--odor about them. Something about the chemical body composition changing in response to very strong emotions. If can find the source, I'll share it with you!
ReplyDeleteSo really, I just think somebody at your church was really feelin' it that night! And if you smell it a lot, well, you know the group's truly on fire for their faith. Crazy, huh?